In March 1911, the Boonara Land Sales took place. That same year, the men who had purchased land began to arrive with their families and a request for a school was made to the Department of Public Instruction. Mr Joe Murphy, the proprietor of the then recently erected Boonara Hotel, offered the hall connected with the hotel to the residents as a temporary building for a school. Consequently, a provisional school was open on 5 February 1912.
On the first day of this school's operation, twenty-one children were enrolled, and a fortnight later, three more arrived, bringing the total to twenty-four.
Before the end of 1912, the building of a new school was underway and was opened on 20 January 1913. The school stood on the site now occupied by the school residence. It was built to accommodate forty-eight children. However, the attendance had increased so rapidly that, in the same year, an assistance was sent to help.
The history of Goomeri State School is an interesting one, as other smaller schools in the area closed, Goomeri continued to grow the opening of the Secondary Department in 1964.
In 2012, the school celebrated it's Centenary, an important milestone in any school's history. 100 Years of providing quality education for all students and creating memories and moments that stay with people forever. The success of Goomeri's history was evident at the Centenary Celebrations as families and friends happily reunited for this important event.
Goomeri's history has been captured in the Goomeri State School P-10 Celebration of 100 Years Centenary Souvenir Book.